Cute and easy to sew drawstring bags, useful for just about anything! Choose from some of our gorgeous prints, or try a plain fabric for a more sophisticated look. We recommend light to medium weight woven fabrics, but jerseys will work too!
Organic Hand Woven Chunky Stripes
Hand Block Zig Zag Blue Organic Cambric
Scarlet Hand Block Organic Cotton
1. Cut out a piece of fabric measuring 35.5cm × 40.5cm.
2. From this rectangle cut two strips of fabric measuring 2.5cm × 40.6cm – this will become your drawstring!
3. Sew the ends of the two strips together creating one long strip (right sides together). (This doesn’t have to be neat as it will be hidden)
4. Fold the strip in half horizontally (so you have a long, thin hot dog and sew). If using a serger you can simply serge the edge of your strip, without folding it in half.
5. Lay the rectangle down so the wrong side is facing you. Take the top edge of the long side and fold it towards you about 4cm, pin and sew this 0.5cm from the bottom edge.
6. Fold the rectangle in half, right sides facing. Sew around the edges of the bag with 1cm seam allowance, be careful to not sew the fold you have created!
7. Turn the bag right side out
8. Take your long strip of fabric and feed it through the tube you have created and you’re done!
And for the more experienced sewer, here are some other ideas: