Thursday’s Recipe inspired in our #FabricOftheWeek Red shirting with Sheen http://bit.ly/1hAdBIK
Beautiful & tasty!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 & 1/2 cups pitted cherries, halved
For the Cinnamon/Almond mixture
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 heaping tablespoons ground cinnamon.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9 inch loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease parchment and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, salt and vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add alternately to the creamed mixture along with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with your dry ingredients.
- Add the lemon zest and the cherries and blend in with a large wooden spoon.
To Prepare the Cinnamon/Almond Mixture:
- Put the almonds into a food processor and pulse until they resemble large, course meal. Add the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon and pulse until thoroughly mixed.
To Prepare the Bread:
- Spoon 1/3 of the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cinnamon mixture. Repeat the layers twice more, ending with cinnamon on top.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 1 hour or until it tests done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove your bread from the oven and let rest in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan to finish cooling on a rack.